Week 06: A Rich Fantasy Life - The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (6 pts)

  This week I read an all-time favorite, The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. It was a complete pleasure to move away from my computer and grab one of my copies of book and dive into a world that always seems to comfort me. The Hobbit is not just a story of a stubborn country bumpkin going off into an adventure. It is a story that explores self-discovery and acceptance when confronted with tough situation that tests one self. Which is one of the reasons why I never miss a chance to go back and experience once again with Bilbo how it feels to leave your comfort zone and grow a bit as a person.

As I am writing this, the class discussion on The Hobbit has already passed and one of the comments has kept me thinking and re-examining my favorite fantasy tale is the one discussing about the female representation in this story. As a female reader who has read and watch the saga so many times it surprises me how I never came to question the representation of females in this story. Especially after weeks of discussion during class on how females have written through the years. After much analysis and thinking I must admit with a heavy heart on how there is not a lot of great representation of women in this book other than Lady Galadriel who of course plays a big part in the entire saga but is a also just a side character or an oracle. 

Tolkien seems to not have been quite interested in involving a strong active female character to the tale of The Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings. But knowing all this I do not seem to mind. The reason for this is because I believe that our main characters are in a way very gender neutral in the sense that the actions they do or their way of thinking is not tied to gender in any way. The story is not about a group of men going off on a adventure to find treasure and defeat a dragon but as I said before a story of self-discovery. The way Tolkien writes always seems to concentrate on his characters as people rather than the gender they are and how their actions are chosen because of it. I can easily imagine most of the characters to be female and nothing would change much. But I may be saying this because of how much I love this book and how much I can relate to Bilbo as a fellow Hobbit who currently hasn’t left her home at all for more than a month. 

    Either way as I said before I had so much fun going back to face Smaug and feelings myself change with Bilbo who is one of the characters I find most relatable in any type of literature and media. There is something comforting of having a protagonist who is not perfect from the very beginning and admits how wrong they have been. This book is a comfort book of mine and I will continue to be happily biased.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11: Cyberpunk & Steampunk - Short Stories

Week 01: Goth - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (6 pts)

Week 08: Contemporary Urban Fatasy - The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman